iTunes near Limit?

Guy Hail grhail at iqmail.net
Mon Dec 9 20:02:08 PST 2002

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 05:16  PM, iTunesList wrote:

>  Is there a limit to the number of files that iTunes can handle?

Yes, I believe there is, though I don't recall if I read it apple's
website or another source: 32,000 files, give or take. Itunes has
associated 'databases' (really XML files), and at that size I'm sure it
takes time to read and process them.

Oops: found it (I hope this is the entire url):

http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=61087&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A%2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.
com%2Fcgi-
bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePage&searchMode=Assisted
&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey
=

If that's only part of the url, searching the knowledge base for
"itunes, slow" will retrieve the document. There are also documents
explaining how to have two itunes libraries (but it's as simple as make
two and swap the 'database' files by hand, IIRC).

grh