Music Server

Marc Friedland mf at creative-intelligence.com
Sun Nov 24 17:44:35 PST 2002

Hi Travis-

I just decided to do the same thing.  What I am doing is as follows:

1. Use an old Power book as the server. Try making sure the computer you use
has a USB port.

2. Use a product from Xitel(www.xitel.com) called Hi Fi Link ($49.00) which
goes between your server and your amp to provide highest quality digital
output of the sound.  It connects to the amp via it's cable. The amp if
possible should accept digital input.. This is through an optical input call
Toslink which is pretty common in new amps that accept digital inputs.

3. Control itunes on the server via a shareware product called net-tunes
that can be downloaded via... http://www.shirt-pocket.com  This will allow
you to control it from a remote computer via airport etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if a "home version" of an ipod isn't coming soon
exactly for this purpose.  If you choose not to use a dedicated "music
server" check out the Audiotron from Turtle Beach..

Let me know if you find anything else. If anyone has any other suggestions,
or know's of any other products for this purpose, let me know too. But this
is the simplest and most direct I've been able to determine.

Rock on..