Remove Duplicates Script

Doug Adams dougadams at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 18:32:10 PDT 2003

>The problem I have with this script is that it just removes the
>duplicate from a playlist. It doesn't remove the actual file. (of which
>I had many)

The Remove Duplicates script cited uses the unique iTunes database id to
determine duplication; if two tracks share the same id then they share the
same file.

Regarding an AppleScript that can automatically decide which of your files
to delete: it's quite difficult for an AppleScript to determine if two files
in iTunes are *exactly* the same thing. The only real determination can be
made by your ears.

Consider these two situations:

-I have two file versions of the same song, which show up as duplicates
because the have the same track name; they sound exactly the same to me. But
the files are from different CDs, or something; or they have been imported
at different bit rates; or one is a few tenths of a second shorter than the
other. How does the script know that one of these is OK to delete? Under
what circumstances would you think it OK for the *script* to decide what
gets deleted?

-Two files which indeed are identical are represented in iTunes by different
track names. How does a script know to even consider these as duplicate
files?

Can both of these situations be mutually tested by a script? It would take
an enormous amount of time to cross check tracks and files to make it happen
that way.

You have to listen to them. It's the safest method.

So we have a script that assists with this process called Trash Duplicates
located at this link:
http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.shtml#trashduplicates

It help you determine if you have duplicates of the same song on your local
volumes by providing track info and sampling, plus assistance in removing
duplicate tracks and deleting duplicate files.

Cheers!
Doug
--
Doug Adams