[iTunes] More about "Fairplay" DRM

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Thu May 1 04:46:23 PDT 2003

As far as DRM is concerned, what happens as you upgrade systems and
migrate your files? I trade in my laptop every couple of years or so,
backing up the stuff I want to keep before the trade, then restoring
afterward. So far that's been straightforward except for registered
software which is sometimes tied to the computer it was originally
installed on - I've usually been able to fix that with a support call,
but there have been problems. Am I going to have problems down the
line, say after three transfers? De-authorizing and re-authorizing may
be relatively simple, but is that on a file basis, or on the entire
computer, or what? If at the file level only, can I do it on a mass
basis (Applescript?) as these kind of transfers will probably require?