[iTunes] Re: Speakers for desktop

Andrew Nye andrew at nye.tc
Tue May 27 13:38:47 PDT 2003

Thanks all, for the responses to this request for information and
experiences.

For the record, I spent a good deal of time going around shops looking
and listening. I was deeply prejudiced in favour of the Harmon Kardon
Sound Sticks - I had always admired their looks. However, I really
didn't like the sound they made - to my ears they sounded rather murky
and dull, though they remain the best looking.

I ended up with the JBL 'Creature' set. They sounded the best to my
ears, though perhaps a bit lacking in the middle-range, so less mellow
than I'd choose. They have the advantage of a tiny footprint on the
desk - the sub-woofer is on the floor - and I quite like the look of
them. The touch-sensitive volume control on the right-hand satellite
works effectively as do the bass and treble on the sub-woofer. I was
disappointed not to find a headphone socket, but actually I'm happy
with the speakers at very low volume which works well instead of
'phones.

I'd thoroughly recommend them. The price was good too - I paid £99
(UKP) in a computer supermarket.

Andrew