[iTunes] Large Library, Slow iTunes

Steve antcheck at comcast.net
Wed May 17 18:31:17 PDT 2006

About a year ago I purchased a huge CD collection at an estate sale
and recently finished ripping them all into iTunes.  I have
approximately 55,000 songs (260 G) and iTunes has grown pretty
sluggish.  Playback, ripping and burning operations are fine, but
creating playlists, navigating between lists, adding tags, etc
frequently yields the beach ball for several seconds and occasional
hangs where I force quit rather than wait it out.  Launch takes a lot
longer, but I can understand & live w/that.  I would like to improve
the performance I'm getting if possible.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience managing a large iTunes
library and if so, can help me out.

My set up: Dual 2.0 G5, 1.5G, 10.4.5, iTunes 6.04 (3).  Most of the
music (230G) is on an external USB 2 Drive, w/the remainder being on
my internal drive and all songs are in the same library.

Questions:
1) Would more ram make a difference or is the bottleneck elsewhere?
2) Would putting songs on a Firewire drive improve performance?
3) Would having the music folder/all the songs on the same drive make
a difference in performance?

Answers and/or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve