[iTunes] mp4 question

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Wed Oct 24 23:57:46 PDT 2007

listLover wrote:
>     /> I want to delete my library and then recreate it by dragging the
>     song
>      > files back into iTunes.
>     /
>     /Why? What are you hoping to accomplish? And where are you dragging the
>     song files *from*? They normally reside in your iTunes Library, why
>     would they be anywhere else?
>
>     /
>
> Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. What I mean is I want to, /within the
> iTunes application,/ delete everything, then drag back just the song
> files which reside within my library.

But... if you delete everything within iTunes, the iTunes Library folder
is also within iTunes. Unless you have created a backup file (you never
responded to that question) elsewhere, the only place for music files to
reside is within the iTunes Library which is within iTunes. It still
makes no sense to me. And before you try some variation on this, I would
most definitely create a complete backup of the iTunes Library folder.

> I just have a ton of missing/moved  references in iTunes, and want to get back to a “clean” state.
>
> I hope that’s a little clearer.

So what you are trying to accomplish (remember that question?) is to
remove orphan files (that doesn't connect to a playable song)? And end
up with only those "good" music files?

I think you are going about it all wrong and headed for heartache. I
think you should check out this site and find an AppleScript (or two or
three) that will do the house cleaning you want done.

Here is where to start:  <http://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php>

Look for scripts that "manage" or "clean up" or "eliminate duplicates
and orphans" and like that.

AND BACK UP BEFORE YOU DO IT!!

Good luck, let us know how it comes out.
--

Michael Prete