[iTunes] Upper limit to contents of iTunes?

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Sun Jul 6 11:49:47 PDT 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 8:43 PM, John Linthicum wrote:

>>> I know someone who has about 240,000 tracks in his library...
>>
>> Wow! I thought I had a ridiculous amount of tracks with 24,000. (It
>> took me almost a year to get everything ripped.) That's ten times
>> the amount of tracks that I have! I'll bet it took that person ages
>> to rip all of that stuff...
>
> Quite an assumption that they ripped it all. Perhaps it was all
> purchased legally through the various legal outlets for digital
> music. I've been ripping my entire CD collection for years, and I'm
> only a fraction of the way through it. I used to be a DJ, so I've
> got quite a library. I've got 62k songs and iTunes doesn't even
> flinch at it.

Actually, the person in question not only ripped most of his music,
but digitized hundreds of LPs as well.

I've got 42K songs, with only a couple thousand purchased (and that
many because of big sets like the complete Dylan and U2).

Yes, ripping takes a long, long time...

Kirk
            Author of: Take Control of Users & Accounts in Leopard
                       http://www.mcelhearn.com/tco.html