[iTunes] iTunes: podcasts problem

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sun Jul 6 18:51:53 PDT 2008

On Jul 6, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Becca wrote:

You've deleted my part in this fiasco. Michael wrote:

>> Perhaps your folder system is the source of your troubles.
>
> iTunes set up the folder system in the first place: author <or
> artist name>, subfolders for each book or album by that author,
> specific files.

No, not that. In your previous post you said (and I copy and paste)

"I spent such a long time organizing my music and audiobooks on my
hard drive - will this copy every thing to someplace else? we have my
hd partitioned, with one of them being the data drive; on that drive/
partition, I have a folder titled Books and Music - books are in one
sub-folder and music in another."

I'm suggesting that your "organizing my music and audiobooks" into a
folder titled "Books and Music" and locating that on a partitioned HD
might have confused iTunes, especially when you are trying to recover
from a corrupted file.

> it worked just fine for several years and many iPods, until last
> week, when iTunes blew up on me when I downloaded a corrupted song
> file from iTunes itself.

Yes, but that proves nothing. Everything that breaks had previously
worked just fine for a period of time before it broke. The point is
that you now have a problem, and you will have to experiment some to
find a solution.

> Every thing after that has been trying to get back to where I was
> the week before that.

And because you are having such unusual problems simply trying to
return to where you were before, I am looking for possible causes and
solutions. Specifically, someone else suggested that you check some
boxes in preferences that would consolidate your library files. You
stated you didn't want to because you had worked so hard organizing...

I'm suggesting that with proper backups, you could experiment and try
these suggestions, confident in the knowledge you could use your
backup to return to your (current) starting point if the suggestions
don't work out. Also, I would think that if iTunes moves things around
in the consolidation procedure and it works properly, you could give
up your organization to the one iTunes creates. Just a thought. You
*are* asking for suggestions, after all.

> this is being very frustrating.

I is being sympathetic with you.

Michael Prete

More will be revealed.