[BusMac] NIH Image and Graphic Converter - was CAD programs

George Reis reis at imagingforensics.com
Mon Dec 16 22:48:27 PST 2002

John Richardson wrote on 12/16/02 2:24 PM:

> NIH Image is something that will give Graphic Converter a run for the
> best program title in 2-D image processing. It used to give Photoshop
> a run for best image processing app. I assume it is now in
> maintenance mode and may have a commercial spinoff. NIH = National
> Institutes of Health.

Actually, these are very different programs, with different applications. I
will just add my two cents with a short description of a few applications:

NIH Image is a credible application with some great features. I still use it
if I need to do some quick frame averaging with grayscale images. And, it is
a nice way to get a free FFT. It isn't a great image editing application,
however, but was never intended to be one.

Graphic Converter is a great application for opening almost any graphic file
and doing some modest image editing - I admit to having not looked at it in
a while.

Equilibrium Debabelizer is another great choice for opening most graphic
files, and converting images - especially for batch processing and image
conversion. It doesn't have the easiest interface, however.

Adobe Photoshop is an image editing application, rather than an image
processing or conversion app. Although with plug-ins like FoveaPro, it can
hold its own for image processing as well - exceeding NIH Image with no
problem in most areas of image processing.

George Reis
--
Imaging Forensics
18627 Brookhurst, PMB 324

Specializing in digital imaging consulting, training, analysis and
enhancement for the law enforcement, investigative and legal communities.