[BusMac] WAN Setup?

Carlos Leal carlos.leal at mac.com
Sat Dec 28 07:44:20 PST 2002

On Saturday, December 28, 2002, at 07:30 AM, John Droz, jr. wrote:

> Mac Friends:
>
> Not sure whether this is in any of your areas of expertise, but will
> give it a
> shot. If you have someone else that you would recommend that I
> contact, please let
> me know.
>
> I have a client in NY who operates a Mac based business. They have
> just opened a
> branch office in Florida, also Mac based. Both locations are using OS
> 9.x, both use
> the networkable BigBusiness software, and both are on RoadRunner cable
> internet.
>
> What exactly needs to be done to set up a Wide Area Network, so that a
> Mac in
> Florida can have a high speed (cable) connection to the LAN in the NY
> office?

You need two routers that support some type of VPN to set up circuit
between the two offices. Cisco makes some SOHO types that will probably
work.  This is not the only way, just the least trouble.

> What exactly needs to be done to have a FL office computer have a high
> speed
> connection to the server in NY office as a client for the BB software?

First thing that has to be done is to make sure that the business
either agrees to violating RR's terms of service and/or that  the
required ports are not being blocked by RR.

Cable is not the network transport of choice since data transport is
not their core business and can always give you the "it's intended for
home use" excuse as a way out of a problem they need to solve.

> Assuming that this can be done via RR, does the NY account need to get
> a permanent
> IP address?

Yes and easier if both ends have permanent IPs. They should try the
routing now to gauge latency.

> Please be specific as to what needs to be purchased and done.

Specificity costs. Are your clients getting your services pro bono?

> Thanks!
>
> john droz, jr
> aaprjohn at northnet.org

--Carlos