XServe Experiences

Paul E.R. Packbier paul at pcrguam.com
Tue Jan 20 21:32:18 PST 2004

I almost forgot that I belonged to this excellent list.  Happy New Year
everyone!

A question "for the group:"

We recently decided to buy an XServe for our all-Mac office in order to
centralize our files, possibly start hosting our e-mail server and web
site on-site, and possibly provide for dial-in access to databases
we'll be compiling.

We bought a G4 Xserve 1GHzDP 512/60Gb/CD/ATI/DualGig (refurb) and I
spent my XMas break setting it up and trying to learn about the system.
  The thing that became almost immediately apparent, and progressively
more annoying, was the NOISE this thing was making.  It sounded like
the cooling fan/blower for the power supply, which according to the
documentation should also be temperature/software controlled like the
two fans for the processors.  Inquiries with my dealer yielded that
this noise was "normal" for Xserves and not a malfunction of any sort

We ended up sending the unit back for a "store credit after restocking
fee" and I'm contemplating alternate routes.

Question:  Does an XServe really sound like a vacuum cleaner all the
time?

Since the sound even permeated into our offices with the door to our
"control room" closed, this is not an option.  Would we be better
served with a desktop model (G5?) running Mac OS Server, and add more
hard drive space when needed?  Any suggestions for good, user friendly
documentation describing setting up a small office network?

Thanks!

PCR Environmental, Inc.
266 Father San Vitores Street
Tamuning, Guam 96913-3622 USA