[BusMac] Mass emailer program, better than entourage?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Jan 22 22:41:42 PST 2004

Bill Morse said:

>I am consulting for a non-profit, and am looking for a better solution for
>group emails than entourage.  This is not a spam operation, but rather
>communication with people who have signed up at our web-site or events.
>
>We have a filemaker database, and often will need to send an email to about
>4,000 addresses.

I am in the same boat.  I have a user group newsletter that I send out to
well over 4,000 e-mail addresses.  It was hard to find a good solution
that didn't cost a fortune.

If you are using an AppleScript-able e-mail client, like Outlook Express,
Entourage, PowerMail, Claris Emailer, etc., there are free bulk-mailing
AppleScripts that you can download that will take your e-mail message (in
my case it is my newsletter, in a text file) and your mailing list (in
another file) and it will launch your e-mail program, create e-mail
messages, and each message will be addressed to a group of 50 addresses
from your address list.  They will all be sent via blind carbon copy
(BCC) so that recipients don't get a long list of e-mail addresses in
their e-mail header.

Some of the scripts at the following messages are for only one particular
e-mail program.  But they are easy to modify for any AppleScriptable
e-mail client.

http://www.fogcity.com/files/Emailer/Scripts/AppleScripts.hqx

http://www.scriptbuilders.net/category.php?cat=55&srt=anam

http://www.scriptbuilders.net/category.php?search=entourage

http://www.scriptbuilders.net/category.php?search=bulk

<http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/3/wo/PBRk22yaLEFFRFqe.1
/0.2.1.2.22.31.97.0.35.0.1.1.1?user=allen_a_watson&fpath=Scripts&templatefn
=FileSharing3.html>

I hope this helps.  It is a very effective and inexpensive solution.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html