Router pigtail

After Hours ahclist at afterhoursconsulting.org
Tue Jun 1 15:06:17 PDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Business Macintosh List wrote:

> Hi, I am David Shindell.  I am owner of a small scientific company
> named Data Optics, Inc. located in Ypsilanti, Michigan (near Ann Arbor
> and the University of Michigan).   We manufacture precision optical
> research equipment and optical test instruments.  I handle all aspects
> of my business on the Mac.
>
> Right now, I am trying to help out a friendly FedEx driver with a 3400c
> laptop, but there are issues connecting the Ethernet to a router or DSL
> modem.  (It does work when I connect it to my own cable modem, though,
> so I think that the hardware and software are ok in the 3400c.)
>   Someone just mentioned that a special pigtail cable is needed to
> break
> out the Ethernet signals from the Phone on this particular model.  Does
> anyone know anything about this?  (Randy?)

David,

I'm on digest, so things are slow for me to get -- but I always used
such a pigtail on my system.  It's easy to make - use one on my 3400
for years.  The combo ethernet/modem card used in the 3400 uses only
the orange and green pairs for ethernet and blue pair (center two
contacts) for telco.  Look at any wiring diagram for cat5e 568b   where
from left to right (pins 1-8), you use:

1 orange-white, 2 orange, 3 green-white, 4 blue, 5 blue-white, 6 green
(and brown-white, brown for 7 and 8)

You'll only use 1, 2, 3 and 6 for the ethernet, and it should not be a
crossover cable to the hub or router.

4 and 5 would go to the phone line.

- vail