HD Lockup

ACS cardam at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 2 16:54:33 PST 2002

Thanks for your excellent explanation. I'm sure that pageouts are at
fault. However, I'm not convinced adding RAM can eliminate the problem.
I monitor my RAM usage and pageouts, using MemoryStick and AquaMon,
both very useful utilities. With 1.25 GBs of RAM, I experienced almost
no pageouts in 10.1.x. In Jaguar, I see pageouts happening regularly,
even when I know my RAM isn't fully utilized.

So I think the other part of your explanation, the I/O problem, is more
on the mark. It would be a drag, however, to place my entire system on
an external FW HD. Wouldn't that alone slow things down? Maybe Apple
will figure this one out for the next update.