FW: [CUBE] OT: Remote Access

Frank French moutard at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 07:09:18 PST 2002

Riba,
I haven't tried this myself but there was an article in MacHome, July 02 on
remote file access. OSX is the easiest by far according to the article. Log
into your Mac with admin privileges. System Preferences/Users and set it up
for everyone who needs to access the machine. Close that then go to Sharing
in Sys Pref., jot down the IP address (that's what the article says) click
on the start button which begins web sharing.

Then on the remote computer establish the internet connection, launch
browser, enter the IP address for example http://62.191.34.232/~user-name/
for OS X. That will bring up either the HTML home page or a listing of
Sharefolder. The limitation is one folder at a time.

The OS 9 set up is similar but the requirements listed include a broadband
connection so I didn't go into it. Like I mentioned, haven't done this
myself but I did lend the magazine to a friend who seemed to have no
problems though again he was broadband at both ends. Hope that helps.

Regards

Frank