[CUBE] Slow USB camera

Arturo Pérez arturo at ethicist.net
Fri Dec 20 11:00:46 PST 2002

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 12:18  PM, ACS wrote:

> That's bizarre...I downloaded the contents of a full 128 MB card
> through the USB camera interface, in less than 4 minutes. What kind of
> camera are you talking about? Mine is a Canon Powershot G2.
>
> On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 08:05  AM, Cube List wrote:
>
>> All I know is that when I used my camera's USB port it took upwards
>> of 20 minutes to download my 8MB card.  With the FW reader it takes
>> about 5 minutes to download my 96MB card.

It was probably the camera's USB port being junk.  It was one of those
"it's a serial port NO! it's a USB port" kind of jobs.  Camera's a
Kodak DC240.
Then the battery would run out in the middle or the Cube would sleep.
It's a lot
easier with the FW reader.

In terms of speed, I think of what it would take to download an IBM
MicroDrive based
CompactFlash and think, "I'm glad I have firewire!"