[CUBE] Some cube/mac questions :)

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Fri Dec 27 21:22:00 PST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 mcph at olemiss.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>    Santa was very good to me bringing me a 450 Cube for
> christmas.

Your Santa needs to come to my house sometime!

>  I'm planning to do some upgrades to it over the
> next few weeks.  My understanding is that the best video
> card that will fit in the cube without modifications is the
> mac edition Geforce 3 card.  Does that hold true for both
> the OEM and retail versions of the card?  Is ebay probably
> the best place to find them?

Sorry, can't answer that one.

> My current internet setup is with an alcatel usb DSL modem
> (it was free).  I also have a winXP based laptop.  I'd like
> to be able to share the Dsl connection wirelessly.  Does
> that require a base station or can I just get an airport
> card (and the PC equivalent) and do some sort of peer to
> peer setup (effectively making the cube the base station)?
> If that's possible how difficult is that to set up?

USB DSL or cable modems give me the willies, but if it works already, than
go with it. It is quite easy to use your cube as a wireless basestaion,
all you need is an airport card and Jaguar. I guess some versions of OS 9
will, but verions of X before Jag won't.

It is a breeze to set up. The only hitches are
1) You have to turn on sharing after every reboot (unless this was fixed
in 10.2.3 - I have not checked)
2) Your cube must be on and not asleep for the basestation function to
work. Airport traffic will not wake it up.

That said, it works great for me and my iBook, though someties I have to
run ustairs to the cube and turn on internet sharing and/or adjust sleep
settings.

Good luck.