[CUBE] Some cube/mac questions :)

Gary Waugh tersono at tersonodesign.com
Fri Dec 27 23:22:32 PST 2002

On Saturday, December 28, 2002, at 12:47 AM, mcph at olemiss.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>    Santa was very good to me bringing me a 450 Cube for
> christmas.  I'm planning to do some upgrades to it over the
> next few weeks.

cool =]

> My understanding is that the best video
> card that will fit in the cube without modifications is the
> mac edition Geforce 3 card.  Does that hold true for both
> the OEM and retail versions of the card?  Is ebay probably
> the best place to find them?

Hmm - as far as I know there was _only_ the Apple OEM version available
for the Mac - no third-party retail version. OWC have had them on
occasion in the past, but they never stay in stock for long, so yes,
ebay is probably your best chance.

> My current internet setup is with an alcatel usb DSL modem
> (it was free).  I also have a winXP based laptop.  I'd like
> to be able to share the Dsl connection wirelessly.  Does
> that require a base station or can I just get an airport
> card (and the PC equivalent) and do some sort of peer to
> peer setup (effectively making the cube the base station)?
> If that's possible how difficult is that to set up?

yes, you can -fairly easy to do. If you're running Jaguar you don't
need any extra software to do it, just the modem drivers. If you have
an earlier version of OS X, then you'll need a piece of software called
'Brickhouse' (you'll find it at versiontracker) to enable internet
connection sharing via the Cube.

Gary