[CUBE] 7v on the fan

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Sun Apr 13 08:36:09 PDT 2003

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 12:25  AM, Simon Meyer wrote:

> Has anyone tried lowering the fan voltage on the PL upgrade to 7v?
> I did it on my previous fan w/o the upgrade and the noise difference
> was extremely noticeable.
> I have the 800 Mhz upgrade - I like to hear some thoughts on the
> overheating argument

I think it should be okay. When I was running my stock 450, it was
always around 55c, but now that I've added a 7v fan, I've also added a
Radeon 7500, and a 80gb 7200 RPM drive, and it stays at a constant
24c-30c. I can't see how the 800 with a 7v fan could get near 55c...

But who knows. I guess if it's not supported, it's at your own risk. I
wish there was some sort of way to check the temp of the new G4's.

Pop your old fan in for a few days and measure the temp of the
heatsink. Maybe we should start using the heatsink temp as a way to
measure this from here on out...so we all have a standard for heat
measurement?

jesse

.