[CUBE] the desperate plea thing.

Alan Thompson athomp2 at mac.com
Tue Apr 15 11:56:00 PDT 2003

Applications are always located here, /Applications, unless you put
them somewhere else.  Documents are always in your home directory,
/Users/$username/Documents, or ~/Documents, there are no more
extensions, but there are kernel extensions - confusing, now that I
typed that, and Control Panes just have a fancy new name - System
Preferences, which is always found in the Apple Menu, and in the
/Applications menu.

The most startling thing I've noticed about OS X (since loading 10.slow
on my 5/2001 ibook) is there does not seem to be an easy way to access
your applications without navigating to them with the Finder, which is
kind of silly.  Sure, you can place them in your Dock individually, or
even drag the Applications folder to the Dock as well, and click-hold
it until the directory listing comes up (but that has a delay while the
list is loaded into RAM), but that is very unintuitive, IMO.  Very much
so.  I mean, it didn't take me a second to drag the apps folder to my
dock personally, but I was just confounded that there isn't an entry
called Applications off the Apple menu - not that I want to mimic the
Start menu or anything - but you have to admit that the Start menu
thing makes sense once trained on always going there for your apps -
KDE mimics this, as does GNOME.  Perhaps there's a reason for that.
(yeah, i know i can /buy/ fruit menu - i don't want to, and shouldn't
need to).

I'd recommend a good book, OS X:  The Missing Manual by David Pogue.
It's very well written for exactly the kinds of questions you have.  I
regret buying my copy as I found it to be too elementary, but I still
recognize the quality of the book, and its contents.

--alan