[CUBE] Sonnet CPU upgrade

Doug Wambold dewambold at enter.net
Sun Apr 20 04:32:16 PDT 2003

Hi Jesse -

I just installed the Sonnet 1.2 GHz yesterday.  So far it's been almost
flawless.  I've read at least a million reviews of both the Sonnet and
the Powerlogix 1.2.  It seems as though the upgrade experience is
highly variable between users.  So far, I'm thrilled with the Sonnet
1.2.  To answer your questions:

1.  Only "problem" is that the Apple System Profiler" reports a clock
speed of "0."  "About this Mac" indicates 1.25 GHz.
2.  Sleep is not an issue.  Mine slept overnight and woke up just fine.
  The fan turns off when sleeping.
3.  The Cube installation kit contains a detailed instruction manual,
and a Panaflo "L" fan.
4.  I've had no kernal panics, lock-ups, etc.  iDVD disk burning had no
problems.
5.  See item 1 above.  L3 cache is reported properly in the System
Profiler.
6.  No additional software is required/included for L3.

By the way, I also have a Powerlogix 1.2 GHz.  It ran for two days and
then my Cube stopped working.  The board was returned to Powerlogix ,
where it has been the past month.  The folks at Powerlogix are very
friendly but their customer service is slow.  This seems to be a common
experience with PL.

Doug