[CUBE] Offering email addresses to spammers as a policy

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 21:00:18 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 10:53  PM, Todd Masco wrote:

> mentholiptus wrote:
>> That's fine, because I don't care. I was just commenting on how I've
>> noticed the same spam that gnarlodious had,
>
> But because of the context, you were implying agreement that the
> address had been obtained through this list.
>
> Laurie very effectively debunked that claim, even if she overstated
> your involvement in the process.
>
> The notion that "ASCII encoding" email addresses will stop spammers is
> not credible.  Sure, it'll stop some of them, but not all - most
> text-based browsers will automatically convert it to the email address
> without the user ever knowing how the source appeared.
>
> For example, if you have lynx try:
>
> 	lynx http://www.gnarlodious.com/Opener.html -dump >
> SearchForEMailAddrs.txt
>
> And you'll see the text email address there in the file
> SearchForEMailAddrs.txt, easily harvested by spammers.
>
> 	-- Todd

Why are you so anti the possibility that the spam DID come from here?
Maybe it did, yet, maybe it didn't. Either way, I've also been getting
spam lately. And we're both on this list...so I felt like offering that
up.

Why do claims need to be debunked anyway? If they do, then PROVE that
it DIDN'T come from this list.

Otherwise, who cares.

jesse

.