[CUBE] Offering email addresses to spammers as a policy

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Mon Apr 21 20:53:57 PDT 2003

mentholiptus wrote:
> That's fine, because I don't care. I was just commenting on how I've
> noticed the same spam that gnarlodious had,

But because of the context, you were implying agreement that the
address had been obtained through this list.

Laurie very effectively debunked that claim, even if she overstated
your involvement in the process.

The notion that "ASCII encoding" email addresses will stop spammers is
not credible.  Sure, it'll stop some of them, but not all - most
text-based browsers will automatically convert it to the email address
without the user ever knowing how the source appeared.

For example, if you have lynx try:

	lynx http://www.gnarlodious.com/Opener.html -dump >
SearchForEMailAddrs.txt

And you'll see the text email address there in the file
SearchForEMailAddrs.txt, easily harvested by spammers.

	-- Todd