[CUBE] choking up the whole works

a l a n t h o m p s o n athomp2 at mac.com
Mon Apr 28 21:31:24 PDT 2003

i love the imagery used below, but honestly, i have no idea what either
of you are experiencing.  aside from the growth of my iphoto library,
which isn't very much, i can say that i've had between 9 and 9.5 GB of
free disk space for the past six months.  really.  i browse a lot, but
i haven't used exploder in quite some time, first i was using omniweb,
then chimera/camino, and now, exclusively, safari.  i use photoshop,
imovie fairly regularly, but these projects and their output is saved
to an external firewire drive.  but my main os x volume remains fairly
constant.  even adding silly little programs like meteo, or clutter,
and now, even with itunes, and the 1.3 ipod update, i'm still in the
aforementioned range.

what do you think is going on?  there's a tool from the omni group,
disk sweeper, i believe, that will tell you what is taking up all of
your hard disk space.  perhaps you should check that out.  if i had to
guess what is happening to your disk space, something is going wrong
with the way your implementation of X is managing its swap files....

anyway, good luck if finding the cause, but i'm not quite sure your
problem is as prevalent as you feel it is.

--alan