[CUBE] OT: pismo vs ibook

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Fri Aug 8 12:41:34 PDT 2003

david wrote:
> Well, I guess I'm not crazy then, because with all the people
> commenting on
> OSX slowness, I had this feeling that these were people with g3's.

Nah, they're people with not enough RAM.

I have a 600 MHz G3 iBook, and Mac OS X is plenty zippy on it.  Why?
640 MB RAM  (I also have a dual 1 GHz G4 "Wind Tunnel" Powermac, so
it's not like I don't have an adequate basis of comparison).  Since the
iBook is a year and a half old, I keep going to buy a new Powerbook...
but I just can't make myself do it, there is too little to be gained.

Unless you actually need the added ports, PCMCIA slot, and Altivec
support  that you get on a Powerbook, the iBook should be perfectly
fine.  The only times that I find the iBook wanting are when I run
Virtual PC and when I  run SketchUp (a 3D CAD-like program).

	-- Todd