[CUBE] Off topic

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Aug 31 08:42:46 PDT 2003

>> jpeg's. It accepts graphics, but not photos. I am not a coder, so html
>> is not my strong suit, and he wasn't sure he wanted to start anything
>> that involved.
>>
>> Do any of you have suggestions for a basic web page development
>> program
>> that will run under OS9?
>
>     IMHO, the best way to learn HTML (as opposed to a specific piece
> of Website building software that will always manage to fall short in
> some way, so you'll have to learn another) is the "View Source"
> capability in any Web browser and a text editor (SimpleText if you're
> still using OS 9, TextEdit if you use OS X;; BBedit [commercial] in
> either case --- it does a beautiful job of color-coding HTML tags).
>
>     Find a Web page whose looks you like, get the source, and start
> playing around with it --- it's the time-honored way of learning Web
> design. Yes, Javascrpt and the like may not be worth learning, but
> they may also not be worth putting in your Website.

I would suggest two paths, depending on what kind of content one wants
to put on the web site. The first one would be to have a hosting
company that offers mysql and PHP (most do), and then use one of the
many available free content management systems. There is an extensive
list on www.opensourcecms.com. Most of them are very easy to set up,
and the site management is a breeze. I'd recommend MamboServer which I
have personally used and it is very easy to install and use
(www.mamboserver.com). If you are using OS X, you can even play with it
locally, but first you have to install mysql and php available from
www.entropy.ch.

Another way is to use Freeway, which is the only WYSIWYG html editor
I'd reccomend for a novice. It is not expensive and produces decent
html code. Check it out at www.softpress.com.