[CUBE] Throwing in the towel

Christian Leue c.leue at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 08:48:39 PST 2003

I am planning something very similar, with the goal of throwing out my
TV, VCR and DVD player (and their three remote controls...):

I've ordered the Gigadesigns 1GHz CPU and a Radeon 7500 Dual-Display
card (both fan-less, yeah!). My current 17" Studio Display will stay on
the desk, and I will order a 23" Cinema Display with the DVI-ADC
adapter as a second monitor, located where the TV is standing now.
Sound output is via SoundSticks (my 450 CDs are already in iTunes).
TV-Input will be with the new EyeTV 300 device, which takes DVB-S
satellite signals and and feeds them as an MPEG-2 stream via Firewire
to the Cube. And I hope the EyeTV's remote will also be able to control
Panther's DVD-Player and the system sound volume. Living in Germany, I
will even be able to profit from EyeTV's interface to the online
programming schedules on www.tvtv.de.

Since what I've read on the rumor sites appears plausible, I think a
new display family in the new aluminum design of the G5 will be around
shortly. That will let me pick up the current 23" display (whose
styling matches the Cube so well) in a closeout sale somewhere, I hope.
I'd say $1500 is a realistic price I'd be willing to pay.

Cheers,
Christian