[CUBE] Throwing in the towel

Rob In der Maur ridmaur at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 3 10:44:15 PST 2003

Jesse,

I'm using a Formac Studio TVR which has TV and FM functionality. Great
for recording TV and radio shows. My brother has an Elgato EyeTV but it
doesn't come close to the quality I get with the Formac. Unfortunately
Formac is overall a not so great company (lousy support, lousy
software, good hardware) so I rely on a freeware application named Vidi
that does the recording, scheduling, etc. for me. Works great....

I guess you're in the US? In Europe, Elgato now announced two new
devices that can record tv broadcasted through satellite or digital
antenna's. Check out their web site. Both also use Firewire to capture
the signal as the Formac Studio TVR does. So bear in mind it uses
plenty of disk space (1 GB for each 5 minutes). I'm using an external
Firewire disk for capturing the video in order to avoid heavy disk
traffic on the same disk as where Mac OS X is running.

cheers
Rob