EBAY/ CUBES/ NOT WORKING!!

TomD TomD_ALG at RobotGroup.org
Sat Dec 6 08:05:55 PST 2003

Some advice...
Dont try to flash the firmware in a machine that is crashing or
randomly powering off. Deal with that problem first. If you crash
or powerdown during a firmware load, you stand a real good chance
of ending up with a dead machine that wont even boot if the firmware
load is interrupted.

Wipe the hard drive and re-install the OS, you dont know what state
the system is in, it could be really messed up and unstable, perhaps
the original reason why it was sold, the selling being fed up with a
crashing system. If there's software on it, and you didnt get the disks,
wipe it anyway and buy it or pirate it yourself, at least you'll have
the newest versions. Besides OSX 10.3.(1 or 2 when the patch is out)
is sweet. :)

Some tweaks that help with the gasket have been posted, I'll add two.
Make sure the top part of the cube core is flat where the power
switch is mounted. Sometimes it gets bent downwards and the ring doesnt
touch the round button gasket in a full circle, instead it only touches at
on the outside edge of the ring. The part of the ring that is towards
the center of the cube will be lower due to the bend of the metal.
You can bend this back by pulling upwards on the metal part of the top
plate. Dont use any tools, you dont want to damage the switch PCboard.

You can pull the gasket off the 'button' and clean it with some alcohol
or mild detergent to remove any oxidation that prevents a good electrical
contact. Also when you replace it, flip it over and use the other side
which may not have as big of an indent in it. Dont push it fully onto the
button, let the power switch do that when you re-install the core.