[CUBE] ACC Files-iTunes Store (OT)

Matt Lehrian matthew-lists at lehrian.com
Thu Dec 11 07:44:09 PST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 10:02 AM, Luis Meleiro wrote:

> Hi there Cube Listers,
>
> Yes it is. Select the song from your library and/or playlist and
> you'll have the option to convert that same song to mp3 under your
> ITunes 'Advanced' menu.

This won't work.  AAC files purchased from the iTunes Music Store are
encoded with Apple's FairPlay DRM (digital rights management) software.
  iTunes does not directly support converting "protected AAC" files to
another format (MP3 or otherwise).

> This was mentioned in an e-mail some time back-is there a way to resave
> the ACC files purchased from the
> iTunes store as MP3's? I don't know why, but I am worried to death
> about the limitation on the number of computers
> your purchased music can be on.    TIA, Rod

What you can do is burn the "protected AAC" file to an audio CD, then
re-rip it in whatever format you like, including regular AAC, MP3,
AIFF, WAV...  whatever.

Cheers!
Matt