[CUBE] Problems with Studio LCD & ball speakers

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sat Feb 1 23:16:06 PST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Laurie A Duncan wrote:
> On 2/1/03 6:37 PM, eagle243 at mac.com typeth:
>
> > Allan,
> >
> > I have always been under the impression that the Studio LCD was the
> > only USB hub capable of powering the speakers... that it was OK to plug
> > Cube speakers into the Studio LCD.  Do you know otherwise?
> >
> > I could certainly be wrong here -- anybody know authoritatively on this
> > one?
>
> Eagle - you are 100% correct.

Sorry... I did not remember correctly.
When I bought my cube, I didn't have an Apple display, so I kinda forgot
about the fact that Apple displays are included in the rule.

Page 15 of the cube maual says it clearly.  "Your computer speakers have
special power requirements that are supported by the USB ports on your
computer and by the USB ports on Apple displays that have the ADC
connector. Do not connect your speakers to other USB devices, such as your
keyboard or external USB hubs, which are not designed to support your
speakers."

Since I didn't have an Apple display when I read that, , the "and by the
USB ports on Apple displays that have the ADC connector" bit never got
filed away in my brain.

Sorry to cause confusion. I hope someone can help you with your audio
problem.

Allan