[CUBE] OT: AUTOMATICALLY RETRIEVING mp3s Track Info

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sun Feb 9 17:04:06 PST 2003

Francois,
Your approach is way unnecessary and off base. Just connect to the
internet before you are ready to rip. There are NO mp3 tags recorded on
your audio CDs. You need to RETRIEVE the MP3 tags from the CDDB with
the "ADVANCED" pull down menu that says "Get CD Track Names" and your
Mac will transmit the CDs ID to the CDDB which will in turn return the
track, artist, album name data back to your previously "unknown"
listings. Then just edit the tracks individually for any missing or
incorrect listings BEFORE you rip and THEN your tracks will have those
mp3 tags attached to them.

You can read all about the CDDB in the iTunes Help Center by simply
entering CDDB in the Ask A Question field and pressing return. There
are 7 different sections explaining the CDDB and how it saves all of us
many hours of entering track info from scratch.

But don't take the returned data for granted. You have to triple check
the results. There are a lot of mistakes stored there. Many times,
especially in the case of electronica compilations, the artists are in
the song column and vice versa. So you have to cut and paste them
around ONE TRACK AT A TIME to get them straight. After such an effort,
you can "Submit CD Track Names" back to the CDDB under the same
Advanced menu to help them keep their act together.