[CUBE] Cube with custom case ends at $1312.87

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Tue Feb 11 02:36:36 PST 2003

On 2003-02-11 03:22, "Rick Rodman" <richard.rodman at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 01:30 PM, Laurie A Duncan wrote:
>
>> On 2/10/03 12:53 PM, gnarlodious at cybermesa.com typeth:
>>
>>> Sniping is the slimy bidding practice of entering a bid 20 seconds before
>>> the auction closes. You know they can't enter a bid in the short time
>>> remaining.
>>
>> What some call slimy, others call strategy. There is nothing illegal or
>> unethical about it - although using one of the paid sniping services I do
>> believe crosses the line into unethical.
>
> It's irritating and unfair from the seller's standpoint, however.  What
> happens is you hope to get $50 for an item, but 10 bidders wait for the
> last minute and all place bids at once.  One wins at $5; the others are
> outbid and all you get is $5, even though there were 10 bidders.

Be that as it may, if you set a starting price that low with no reserve, you
indicate that you are willing to sell, even at that price. You can hope to
get a much higher price all you want; putting it up for auction is no
guarantee that you will, and you know it.

Reserves can be set for a reason, you know.

> As a frequent seller, I definitely consider sniping "slimy".  I've suggested
> many times to eBay that the auction should automatically be extended on any
> winning bid - LIKE A REAL AUCTION - and of course they have ignored it,
> because that would be too hard to program.

I strongly suspect that they have other reasons, because implementing that
would be laughably easy.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--