[CUBE] DV Cam

Anders Bogdan anders at theworks.org
Thu Feb 13 07:50:21 PST 2003

There are quite a few things to consider when buying a DV camera - in
my case the process went like this:
I read what I could find on the web about OSX and iMovie and DV cameras.
Pogues "iMovie the missing manual" has a section on choosing a camera
where I learned to avoid JVC (at that time anyway - they didn't work
too well).
Then I went to the apple store to see what they had on display assuming
that implied they supported them well - basically Canon or Sony.
Went to the camera store (better prices than apple) and noticed that
the Canon cameras were covered with Windows XP stickers and tags. ??
whats up with that? msft bought the company? A religious statement?
After comparing features I bought a Sony DCRTRV27 and no XP stickers!

It works great and most importantly supports passthru - that is, I can
connect another video source (vcr/dvd/tv tuner) to the camera via
svideo and then connect the camera to the mac (and iMovie) with
firewire. Don't get a camera that can't do this!! You can then make
DVD's of your old home movies and capture tv broadcasts in very high
quality.

anders