[CUBE] Is it worth the upgrade: ATI 128 Rage -> ATI Radeon or GF2MX?

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 16:41:41 PST 2003

In my opinion, upgrading from the stock video card to the GF2MX or
Radeon is worth it. This was the first upgrade I did to my machine
(GF2MX) and it was definitely worth it. You get to take advantage of
quartz extreme and better framerates in games and the excess heat is
not that big a deal. I didn't add a fan to my machine until I upgraded
again to the GF3.

The upgrade takes a few minutes and it's dead simple to do. No matter
which card you upgrade to (assuming it's a OEM GF2MX, Radeon or GF3),
you'll just swap the bracket from your existing video card over to the
new one. That adds maybe 5 minutes to the process, if you're slow with
a screwdriver.

I've tried all 3 of the OEM cards, and they're all great and easy to
install. It's only when you get to the "unsupported" cards that things
get a little (or a lot) more complicated.

good luck!
-Hal