[CUBE] Stuffit Expander

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 19:33:55 PST 2003

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 08:51 PM, a l a n t h o m p s o n wrote:

> LOL!  totally true - check out the comments section on macnn.  at
> first, i got kind of whiney myself (don't need, and can't use iDVD and
> don't want to pay for it).  but then, the story isn't fact, but a
> report.  we'll see what happens.  i must say though, that I just got
> hooked on iPhoto and now use it all the time.  did my wedding movie,
> and sent it out to vcd with iMovie - great apps both of them.  i'd pay
> for upgrades to them (major ones at least), and otherwise get them in
> major os upgrades (like jag)...

I almost tend to think that it's not true BUT considering that they
already do
something similar with AppleWorks and iDVD then it's very possible. AW
and iDVD are already provided for free with certain new systems but
upgrades
and new copies must be purchased separately.

I've also recently gotten hooked on iPhoto. It's just too handy.  :-)

> oh yeah, just how did aladdin get such a foothold in the stuffit
> format - i guess the same way that winzip did - being first and
> offering it for free.  there should be a nice gzip gui tool like
> expander, though.  or a gui tar, etc...

Well, for gz, tgz, and zip files I've been using OpenUp, and also Cold
Compress
for storing some files.  They're not the most polished apps in the
world but at
least they have some good NeXT heritage.  :-)

John