[CUBE] Stuffit Expander

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Fri Jan 3 20:35:15 PST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, a l a n t h o m p s o n wrote:

> > As well, the fact that Expander is free only benefits Aladdin. If it
> > weren't
> > then you'd see a mass migration to another non-proprietary format  in
> > the
> > blink of an eye.  :-)
>
> oh yeah, just how did aladdin get such a foothold in the stuffit format
> - i guess the same way that winzip did - being first and offering it
> for free.  there should be a nice gzip gui tool like expander, though.
> or a gui tar, etc...

I don't think it was always free, was it? I remember way back when
preferring compact pro over stuffit for some reason, enough that I paid
for compact pro. That's saying something, considering I was a starving
college student at the time.

The expander was always free, I think, but you needed to pay to compress.

A gui gzip/gunzip should be quite easy to write... I'd be surprise dif
there wasn't already one out there.