[CUBE] Sensitive power switch

Bill Fox wfoxjr at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 4 06:11:47 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 08:35 AM, Meirion Roscoe wrote:

> Every time I tilt the cube to plug/unplug a cable underneath it clicks
> away furiously and powers down completely.

It's usually hypersensitivity in the switch. Apple's fix for this is a
new, thicker gasket. One could get them free from AppleCare but don't
know about now.

There are also 2 hacks. One is to tape a piece of white printer paper
over the switch inside on the core, not the outside, to reduce the
switch's sensitivity. This worked for me on one of my cubes until I
painted the core. The coat of black paint, lightly sprayed over the
switch area, was enough. The second is to disconnect the power cable to
the switch of you have an Apple ADC LCD display with a power switch to
turn the Cube off and on.

> Also justa quicky.  Only had my cube 4 weeks and have not played games
> on it yet.  Is the video card so bad that it needs updating to a GF2MX
> or is it just the search for perfection that drives the change?

The ATI Rage 128 Pro is fine if you do not play games. It is even
slightly better than the GF2MX for most things except, of course, 3D
games.

- Bill