[CUBE] We Can Have SuperDrive "Inside" Now

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jan 8 21:48:38 PST 2003

Alan,

I found the guy who did a DVR-104 hack into the Cube on xlr8 this
evening. Someone posted here earlier and I tracked it down. You have to
be willing to run the Cube out of it's core with the optical connectors
dangled outside the frame and plugged directly into the DVR-104 or 105.
I'm gonna go for it. I care zero about aesthetics. My Cube sits on the
floor out of sight anyway.

I emailed him for clarification on the details. Pretty simple. Thought
of it already. Just didn't try it. Now that I see someone successfully
did it, I'm going for it as soon as I get a couple of cable questions
answered.

Here's the poop from http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb after the
search to Cube DVD-R:

Reviewer's Name: William Rabe billrabe at mac.com
  Date Submitted: 7/24/2002
   Drive Type: DVD-R DVD Recorder
  Drive Interface: IDE
  Drive Brand: Pioneer
  Drive Model Number: DVR-104
   Driver Used: Apple Standard
  Mac Model: Apple G4 CUBE
   Mac OS Version: OS X

Reader Comments: Love your site! I have been an owner of a G4 500 Mhz
cube since they were released and have longingly looked at the various
other G4 models being updated with the DVR-104 DVD-R superdrive on your
site and iDVD working with the upgrades.

I bought a firewire DVD-R drive from OWC and removed the DVR-104 from
the housing, removed the Cube outer case and after removing the stock
CD/DVD combo drive from the cube, snaked the power and ribbon cable out
of the cube and attached it to the DVD-R drive and it was recognized
and works very well even though the cube looks like hell with the case
off. iDVD works like a dream and I have burned 2 DVDs so far.

It is quite easy to do and the other drive can be replaced and the case
put back on when I am done burning the DVD. Also, the external case
with the DVD-R drive worked well before I took the drive out but iDVD
didn't recognize it . This obviously will void any warranties!

Bill Rabe (billrabe at mac.com)

You in?