[CUBE] You CAN Fool A Cube Into Thinking A DVR-105 Is Inside

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Jan 10 11:18:44 PST 2003

OK. There is a way to use the DVR-105 as an internal with a Cube as
long as you don't mind pulling the core and dangling the IDE and power
cable outside the core to connect directly to the core's bus. No
modifications are necessary. Just an ugly setup. I wrote the author of
this hack and got these answers back from him last night. I also posted
his hack day before yesterday. If you can't find it tell this thread
and I'll post it again.

> Dear Bill,
> Just found your DVR-104 hack on xlr8. Tried to find it long ago but
> missed it. Can you help me a little bit with my attempt to follow you
> please?
>
> I got the DVR-105 last week at OfficeMax for $170 after $50 instant
> and $50 mail in rebates. Now I want to make my Cube think it's
> internal like you did so I can get an iLife. Doing the dual 1.2 GHz
> PowerLogix Cube upgrade next month. You too?
>
> A few questions about your hack:
>
> 1. Did you have to build an extension IDE cable off the internal's
> optical IDE connector?
Original IDE Cable

> 2. Did you have to add a power extension cable off the internal's
> optical power cable?
Internal Cable

> 3. Did you really need to REMOVE the old optical to get all the cable
> access or WHY?
I just left it in place and pulled the cables out the airport side.

> 4. How do you have your 104 sitting next to the open Cube? On a stack
> of books or just raw on the floor/desk?
Raw on the desk