Powerlogix 1.2GHz vs. dual 800

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Sat Jan 18 07:36:11 PST 2003

There has been a lot of talk about the dual Powerlogix 1.2 GHz CPU
upgrade here, and it sounds pretty incredible. I hope they can make it
work with the cubes.

I think I have almost convinced my wife that upgrading the cub would be
the best birthday present she could ever give me, so I started looking at
prices since it is only 1 month away. Looking at the price spread of the
800 vs 1 GHz and the 800 single vs 800 dual, I could guess that single 1.2
GHz will be in the same price ballpark as a dual 800 and that a dual 1.2
GHz will be too expensive right away.

I know this is 100% speculation, so nobody quote me on that. But let's
assume that it is. What will give better overall performance in OS X? I
never use OS 9 or classic, so please don't consider that. Will having two
800 MHz processors have more effect than one that is 50% faster?

Thanks for your theories & observations.

Allan