[CUBE] Slot Load DVD-RW Drives From MCE

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Sat Jan 18 20:08:14 PST 2003

> You don't think they will take your $499 and ship you a drive? There
> must be close to $300 in profit in those drives.

Shrug.  Don't know, don't care.  I posted the pointer not because I was
suggesting buying from MCE, but, as the subject stated, because it
means that they are coming into the OEM channels now!  Which means that
we can expect vendors who are more "cube-friendly" to have them
available to them.

As a tangentially-related (this isn't a Cube product, so it's only
tangential) aside though, I would ask that people stop complaining
about the pricing of new products for the Cube.  As much as it pains us
here, the Cube is a dead platform.  That means that it has a shrinking
user base for cube-specific products, which means that vendors have to
recoup their investment from a shrinking pool of sales.

The price per unit per product over wholesale that vendors will have to
charge for customization is only going to go up from here, that's just
life.  It's just the cost of staying with a platform that has been
OELed.