Firewire problems

Francois Barbary franc-b at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 19 22:30:53 PST 2003

Hello all.
haven't been following the list too closely lately but i have a very
weird problem... and before i take it to the repair shop i thought id
ask some intelligent cube owners for their advise..

i have a fw hd it's a 60 gb maxtor 5600 rpm (ithink) it a very quite
model. just 1 year old.
but the problem isn't really the drive... when i flick my switch to
turn the drive on it doesn't ... at least not right away like it used
to (even a 5 second wait is normal) but now itls minutes. sometimes up
to 10!  once it spins up and tries to mount (i hear r/w noise) it
momentarily spins down then back up! and then tries again (same pattern
of r/w noise) sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. when it does mount
it's only usable for about 10 mins. then it spontaneously spins down
and back up again but this time it's unmountable. it won't even
recognize that its on (lookin in terminal)

any ideas what this problem could be?
thanks alllot!!!
Francois

(also experience usb speaker problems... cutting out then back in later
  many people reported this problem too, could it be related?)

ps another funny thing is that when i have my ipod connected daisy
chain style it works fine even with the wacky hd!

i think this problem may be because the fw ipod draining too much power
(i always (8  months) connected it daisy chain style until recently )