[CUBE] Apple Monitor resolution

Randy Spencer israndy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 08:00:25 PST 2003

I think it is part of Apple's "Computers for the rest of us" viewpoint.  I
know LOTS of parents who complain when some techno wizkid comes in with a
high-rez screen that has such small pixels that they can't read the screen.
Apple for the longest time wouldn't abandon the 72dpi on all computers and
powerbooks.  When really high rez cards came out people would put their
monitor up very high, but by default Apple monitors would remain at a
specific dpi, letting you see objects on the screen be the exact size it
would be printed.  The Apple 21" monitor's native resolution was (?) 1280 x
1024.  I think it was the iBook that broke that figure when Apple moved to
90dpi, but then they also moved to OS X which displayed things using the
90dpi so letters were still the same size, they just had more pixels
defining them, giving the OS a cleaner, less pixelly look and gaining
compatibility with PC displays.  Now a webpage on a Mac looked pretty much
like a page on a PC. I was thrilled when the 12" iBook came out with it's
1024x768 display, I don't know the dpi but it's more than 90, but I have
GREAT vision.

  -Randy

--- Joakim Skog <joakim.skog at home.se> wrote:
> the 17" PowerBook's
> display is 1440 * 900. Yesterday I saw a 15" Hewlett-Packard doing
> 1400*1050. How come we can't get higher resolutions in the PB?
>
> /Joakim

=====
Randy Spencer (http://geocities.com/israndy)   <<<<--- New Photos Jan 2003
Citrus Insight #5427  510 769-1949  AIM:RanSpen