[CUBE] AW: [CUBE] OSX Server on Cube

Sergei Zak mancubus at macbox.ru
Fri Jan 31 07:00:33 PST 2003

Erik Ableson emitted a stream of electrons translating into this:

> Heh - although I'm a firm advocate of the Xserve in many applications,
> I can't think of a better server for a small-med business than a Cube
> that can sit on someone's desk, quiet as a mouse...
Someone's desk is a candidate for accidentally switching off, unplugging a
cable. How can one guarantee 24x7 uptime?

> operational stability: not Windows :-)
it is only software. What about hardware (AC line, air conditioning as in
server rooms)? What about environment (even static electricity could kill
off USB or FireWire when you come to sit at this desk)

> hardware monitoring: eyeballs
N/C

> mass storage redundancy: External Firewire RAID
with everything external it is prone to accidents
OR are we talking about a server for, say, 2 people in your household ;) <g>
Then oops!