My Cube updates

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Fri Jan 31 23:54:48 PST 2003

A few updates on my Cube system, some of which are related to recent
Cube postings:

I use DVD Studio Pro with an external 104 Pioneer drive. Rather steep
learning curve, not for the casual home-movie user, but allows the
greatest customized control over all aspects of design, graphics,
menu icons etc.  It's kind of like using Netscape Composer (or, Dog
forbid, Front Page) for web design, vs. hand-coded HTML. All the
speculation about internal DVD burners in Cubes seems alot of tryng
to fit square pegs into round holes. Eventually the Titanium drives
WILL be readily available at a decent price, but how long do you wait
before it's cheaper (and more efficient) to get a new Mac?

I am (however) about to receive a CDRW/DVD-ROM drive to put in my
Cube (I bought another after ruining my last machine). For quick
burns of demo CDs and file backups, having the internal drive seems
like a great convenience. Yes, there are MUCH FASTER external CD
burners, but I have enough crap on my desk...

I have just received a new GeForce 3, and have removed the fan and
the heatsink that goes atop the top row of DIMMS (the fins go in the
wrong direction for proper venting). I replaced the fan with a large
CPU heatsink, and the DIMM heatsink with another that has horizonltal
fins (the long way). Now ALL of the heatsinks allow air to run across
their fins from the bottom to the top of the Cube for better heat
venting. It does run hot, so (for now) I placed a Panaflow fan
(getting about 7 volts from an external wall wart)UNDER the Cube (on
screws acting as "feet") to run just a bit of air, quite SILENTLY,
past BOTH the CPU and video card. Everything seems wonderful, and the
64 MB GeForce 3 FLYS thru scrolling, window opening, etc.

I will take some photos of the mods I have done, including upcoming
cosmetic mods (Burl Walnut Cube, keyboard and Cinema Screen detailing
to match my Art Deco furniture), and will post a link when completed.

I am awaiting the Powerlogix DUAL 1.2 mhz cards, which (I have been
told) include an extra 12 volt DC card (taking over all 12 volt
chores, which actually allows the original DC board to run COOLER),
and a variable-speed fan for the internal mounts, which will speed
up/slow down based on a thermostadt that is included in the
circuitry. At that time I will eliminate the extra fan under the Cube
(if necessary). I purchased a spare Rage Pro 128 card this week ($15)
for a spare, and recommend that anyone trying to get creative with
their expensive video card upgrades (as I have) do the same...

BTW, I installed the Seagate Barracuda V 120GB drive (with the 2 MB
cache), and it is the quietest AND fastest drive I have experienced.
Together with 1.5 GB RAM and a 22" Cinema Screen, both of which are
MUCH cheaper now then when I originally purchased them, this is STILL
the finest system I can imagine.

I will have a NEW Cube chassis and motherboard, as well as my used
DVD-ROM drive for sale on eBay soon - email off list if you need any
of these.

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org

My 2 cents - I TRULY appreciate this list for the helpful Cube info.
I would, however, appreciate not having to scroll through endless
repeats of past messages. Some mini-conversation threads you folks
have do go on and on about everything BUT Cube topics, including
endless copies of all other messages previous. Perhaps we can live
without all the >, >>, and >>'s. And, if I wanted to "chat", I'd use
AIM (or something like), or pick up the phone (remember those?). I'm
not particularly interested in the Cube Lists's political opinions
and personality disorders, and would prefer that you stick to your
Buddy lists for these topics. BUT DO keep the Cube info coming!!!