[CUBE] Geforce 4mx

Michael Blossom blossom at megsinet.net
Thu Jul 3 08:34:46 PDT 2003

>> I noticed someone in the group mentioned that a Geforce 4MX might
>> work in the cube.  Has anyone successfully done this? If so, any
>> temp readings? I've got an mac geforce 4mx card I would like to try
>> but would like to reap the benefit of others experience if possible.
>
> 4MX will work, but you would need to move the DC board and probably
> to chip a bit of the card at the top. You would also need to modify
> the bottom bracket. I also have one of these cards lying around, but
> I don't think its performance justifies the trouble needed to put
> that thing inside.
> I think one Cube owner did put it in, but I can't remember if it was
> reported here on on cubeowner forums.
> As for the cooling, it _might_ work without a fan, but that would be
> pushing the luck.

The benefit of it is not so much the performance for gaming and such;
it's just that the 4MX has two digital outputs (one ADC, one DVI), so
it would be great for anyone who wants to run two LCD monitors from
their Cube.  I believe there is only one other card out there  -- the
Radeon 9000, I think? -- with the ADC/DVI outputs, and it would also
require mods and is much more expensive.

- Mike