PowerLogix upgrade/no sleep (solution!!)

Gregory P. Perez gpp7824 at mac.com
Thu Jul 3 13:41:13 PDT 2003

The signal/noise ratio on this topic appears to be rather low.

First I'll try to address your questions and then I'll tell describe the
exact sleep/wake problem I was having and how I fixed it on my own
PL800-Cube.

1. I'll limit my comments to specifically PL-upgrade related issues. Since
the fix I used is a software solution, (and if it also works for you) we can
totally overlook hardware issues.

2. I have essentially the same hardware you are using and my cube is no
longer plagued with the sleep/coma/wake issue. Powerlogix 800 upgrade, 1.5GB
RAM, 17" ADC studio display, GeForce 2MX video card, airport card, cube
speakers, 100GB Western Digital HD, Apple keyboard, Kensinginton Mouse.

3. Regarding Sonnet cards. Don¹t know anything about them. Somepeople swear
by them others (like me) don't care as long as it works. My PL card works
great but it is a company that catches a lot of heat on this list compared
to Sonnet. Personally, I've had no complaints with my Powerlogix card (have
not needed to use customer support) so would gladly consider moving up from
the 800 to the 1.2GHz in the near future. The best upgrade card in the world
is the one you can totally forget about. Mine is in my cube, it works, I
don't think about it and haven't touched it since the day I installed it.
(Others have reported different experiences.)

Q: Here is the sleep problem I was having until recently.
If I put the cube to sleep by using the "power button" on the case or if
used the pull-down menu "sleep" I had the same results. The cube would enter
a 'sleep-mode' where the harddrive would spin-down, the display would go
dark and the power light would pulsate. Sounds perfect. However, if I tried
to wake the cube, by any means, it would never really wake up. The power
light would stop pulsating, the harddrive would start spinning but the
desktop would never display on my screen. (tried ADCs and CRTs)

A: I ran across this solution somewhere on the web and it worked for me. If
your sleep issue is different from what I described above, I don't know if
it will work for you.

Using the terminal. Delete the following file:

/private/var/db/SystemConfiguration

This file is owned by root so you will need to use the sudo command.
After the file is deleted, Shutdown and restart the machine. (maybe you can
simply restart or simply logout or do nothing, that is your choice) I'm
telling you what I did and what worked for me. People will reply saying that
certain details are not necessary etc. etc.. My mac now sleeps & wakes fine.
The deleted file is replaced by the machine during the restart.

Hope this solves your problem.
Greg
Gregory P. Perez                 Work Phone: (979) 862-1570
Department of Chemistry          Office: CHEM 020
Texas A&M University             e-mail: perez at mail.chem.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-3255     -or-  perez at tamu.edu