[CUBE] Geforce4 mx

Fred Terry pfterry at netopia.com
Fri Jul 11 06:59:44 PDT 2003

On 7/10/03 3:14 PM, "Seth Silzer" <cap at mac.com> wrote:
> And a side bar (because I dont want anyone to get screwed like I did).
> The flashed pc geforce3 runs very hot.  I noticed in the faq on cubeowner that
> it was reported that people are having a good experience with them.  My card
> burned up and I had a system fan installed and a fan on the card and good
> ventilation, but it burned up after about 3 months of use.  Dont waste 220 on
> a card where you will get no compensation when it dies.  My two cents.
>
> Seth

Seth, this statement piqued my interest. I have a flashed PNY Geforce3 in my
cube that has started exhibiting behavior that seems to be heat-releated.
When I start up the cube, I can get through all of the boot up screens and
log in, but within minutes (sometimes seconds) of logging in, the monitor
loses video signal. I tested from a boot CD to make sure my problem wasn't
the system, and then I took the cube apart to see if the fan on the Geforce3
had stopped working (I have a fan mounted in the bottom of my cube as well).

While the core was out of the enclosure, I was able to use the cube without
loss of video signal. The fan on the video card was working, and the heat
sink on the card wasn't too hot to touch. Just to be certain, I put the core
back in the enclosure and again lost video signal. I may have month or two
of use on you, but I think I'm having a heat problem.

Can I solve this problem by putting a more powerful fan on the video card?
Or am I forced to run my cube with the core on the desktop or get a
different card?

  pf